Monday, August 8, 2011

Brasilian "Cafe da Manha" VS American "Breakfast"



These past few evenings I have come to the hard realization that writing a blog is tough!  I mean, how do I expect someone to use their valuable time to read something that I wrote if I don't really make it worth their time to actually read?  Well..........maybe I'm not accomplishing that goal, but let me assure you all that I AM TRYING!!  I expect this may be an easier thing to do after we finally move to Brasil.  Then,  I'll have new experiences to share.  Until then,  I will just have to do my best.

*Footnote*
*Yes,  even if you are reading this while stuck in the bathroom,  I still consider that time valuable.*

Anyways..........I have decided to do a comparison of what I consider to be the most enjoyable and important meal of the day.  Breakfast!  I, as many of you, expected breakfast around the world to be huge.  Its time to wake up and BREAK THE FAST!  Lets load up!  2 or 3 plates per person because lets face it,  there is no way it will fit on just one.  Let me tell you,  it is not in fact that way everywhere.  The reality of this was nothing unlike taking that breakfast frying pan and pounding me straight in the face with it.  The kind of hit that strikes your nose in such a way that your eyes tear up and you cant help but cry.  

                                                                             Lets start with the American breakfast.  


We order up some eggs, pancakes, toast, bagels, waffles, sausage, etc.....  We even throw steak in the mix every now and then.  Yeah, bring me some steak and eggs! And sausage.  And bacon.  Hell, schedule me and EKG for afterwards.  I don't care!  Actually this sounds a little bland.  Why don't you dump a gallon of gravy on everything and for Gods sake leave the salt shaker!  It's no wonder we need a nap after breakfast.  Sleep all night, wake up, eat like we are being prepared for the slaughterhouse, and then take a nap.  Even as I sit here and carve another notch in my belt,  I still have no sympathy for us Americans who complain about being overweight.  We even have a chain restaurant that dedicated its whole menu to bacon!  (actually a GREAT idea, but for the sake of my blog ill demonize it)


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Brasilian

Brasilian "Cafe da Manha" (breakfast) is much different.  It normally consists of some fruit, bread, maybe even on occasion a type of "grilled ham and chesse" sandwich.  They will take a piece of bread, throw a slice of ham and cheese on it, fold it over and heat it on a skillet.  Its actually quite good for breakfast.  I enjoyed it alot.  The bread isn't just plain.  You know, some raisin breads, white bread, cinnamon type bread with either a butter spread or cheese type spread.  There are fruit juices which are nice and some cafe (coffee) to drink.  To me it seemed to be rather light but in the end you wind up feeling satisfied.  You feel full, yet still able to go on about your day.

My first morning in Brasil I awoke and headed down to the table to expect the typical American type breakfast.  I had no idea it was any different!  What a shocker this was.  All I can say is thank goodness the Brasilians make up for lunch and dinner for what they lack in breakfast content!  Their cups used for drinking are also unlike ours.  They are always very small.  It does not matter for what beverage.  Whether it be juice, coffee, water, beer........they are always petite servings.  In a way I guess it does show a bit of class when compared to our American drinking ways.  Our coffee mugs have the capacity to hold enough caffeine that short of the government legalizing cocaine is the only way for us to function as usual.  Beer mugs, pop cups.........all large here!  Brasil...........nope!  Small.
I guess the big question is which one do I like better.  Well, which one do you like more, Brandon??  I can honestly say that I cant answer that.  The Brasilian way is so fun.  There are lots of small light food items to choose from.  The small cups of coffee are actually enjoyable to drink.  I really do like it.  However, yes there are times where I want the American breakfast.  Bring me my plates of proteins and carbs with a huge bottle of syrup and gravy to dump all over it!  Lets just hope to find a HEALTHY balance.......


Brandon

No comments:

Post a Comment